|Salem High School | 1993 SunDevil Drive Virginia Beach, VA 23464 | Phone: (757) 648-5650 Fax: (757) 474-0100 | Contact Us|
Virginia Beach Public Schools has identified the links on this page as having educational value. Virginia Beach Public Schools does not control or guarantee the content of these sites, nor does the school division endorse the organization, its views, products, or services.
Phone: 648-5650 Fax: 474-0100
* Parents please keep the clinic up to date on phone numbers and health issues.*
***Click here for information about the VB School Nurses Association Scholarship***
Charlotte Sokolsky, RN, BSN, NCSN
Click the link below for all VBCPS medical forms and health related information:
* Click here for important information about noroviruses*
COMMUNITY RESOURCES FOR PARENTS/STUDENTS
- Beach Health Clinic: 3396 Holland Rd., phone 428-5601. A private, nonprofit corporation; staffed by professional and lay volunteers. Free to those who qualify.
- Child & Youth Services: Human Services-Mental Health & Substance Abuse: 289 Independence Blvd., Pembroke 3, phone 385-0850. Provides child and youth emergency and outpatient treatment for Virginia Beach children through age 18 with mental illness, substance use and co-occurring disorders. Services include individual, family and group counseling, psychiatric evaluations and medication management. Parenting groups are also available.
- Medical Equipment : Resources for free or low cost wheelchairs and other equipment: Goodwill-Contact Jim Jefferson (248-9405). Norfolk Scottish Rite-Contact Dudley Myers (489-1076). Rehab Health Care-Contact Linda (466-1553).
- Orthopedic Care: For 18yrs. old and under through Khedive Shrine. Free for those who qualify.420-4510.
- Partnership in Prescription: www.pparx.org or 1-888-477-2669.
- Tidewater Child Development Services: Affiliate of VA Dept of Health. Offers needy families assistance with evaluation and diagnosis of developmental, behavioral, emotional, and learning disorders through age 21.
- Tricare Prime Clinic Virginia Beach: Military healthcare, phone 314-8900.
- Virginia Beach Public Health: 4452 Corporation Ln. phone 518-2700. Clinics include: Dental, Family Planning, Immunizations, Maternity, Sexually Transmitted Diseases and Well Child.
- Catholic Charities: 4855 Princess Anne Rd. Va. Bch. 467-7707. Free pregnancy testing/counseling.
- Crisis Pregnancy Center of Tidewater: 522 S. Independence Blvd. Suite 101.499-4444. Free pregnancy testing/counseling.
- Resource Mothers: Free program through Child and Family Services of Eastern VA. Ask your school nurse for information. 397-2121 ext. 324.
- Virginia Beach Public Health: 4452 Corporation Ln. phone 518-2700. Clinics include: Family Planning , Maternity, Sexually Transmitted Diseases and Well Child.
- Emergency Services (Mental Health/ Substance Abuse): Human Services-Mental Health & Substance Abuse 289 Independence Blvd. Pembroke 3, phone 385-0888. Operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week/weekend and holidays. Provides telephone and in-person crisis assessment, intervention and consultation regarding persons with mental illness, substance use and co-occurring disorders. Also includes psychiatric evaluation, medication services and preadmission screening for in-patient care.
- Battered Women’s Hotline: 485-1445
- Child Protective Services: Human Services-Social Services. Phone 437-3400. Provides 24 hour services for children suspected of being abused or neglected. Child Abuse Hotline 1-800-552-7096.
- Help and Emergency Response Inc.: Shelter for battered women and children. 485-3384.
- Help for Cutters: 1-800-dontcut. Websites: www.kidshealth.org
- National Domestic Violence Hotline: (www.ndvh.org) 1-800-799-SAFE (1-800-799-7233).
- Project Hope: The Homeless Education Program of the Virginia Beach City Public Schools. Can provide help with many needs including school supplies, transportation, PE uniforms, and many others. Contact B.J. McGrath 263-2062 or Gay Thomas 263-2300
- Samaritan House : 631-0710/crisis line: 430-2120. www.Samaritanhouseva.org Shelter/help for victims of domestic violence and/or homelessness.
- Seaton Youth Shelters: 306-1840/Hotline: 498-HELP. Provides anger management for youth; parenting program; support group for parents of adolescents; drug education for youth. Emergency shelter services for 9-18yr. olds.
- Suicide Hotline: Tidewater Crisis Network phone 622-1126. Youth Crisis Network phone 623-2627. HOPEline Network phone 1-800-784-2433.
Youth Crisis Network:
- Allergies: Foods available at Navan Foods 4312 Holland Rd. Suite 115 965-5422. CHKD food allergy support group:
- Anorexia Nervosa: and related disorders. 404-3010
- Alateen: 499-1443/Al-Anon: 460-0949. Supports teens and families of alcoholics.
- Alcoholics Anonymous: 490-3980.
- Alliance for the Mentally Ill: nonprofit to help families of those with mental illness. 424-0856
- Alopecia Areata Support Group: 631-1722 or 638-9706. Turbans for Transformation: 426-6393.
- Attention Deficit Disorders: CH.A.A.D. of Tidewater (Children and Adults with Attention Deficit Disorders) 866-633-4871. www.chadd.org
- Autism Society of America: 461-4474.
- Celiac Sprue Association: 410-5245.
- Compassionate Friends: Support for bereaved parents and siblings after the death of a child. 484-8161/ 482-5856.
- Compulsive Eaters Anonymous: 456-1435.
- Crohn’s and Colitis: 479-0029 IBDHurts@cs.com Teens: 425-8521.
- Domestic Violence Support Group: Sponsored by YWCA: 625-4248.
- Down Syndrome Association : 466-3696
- Emotions Anonymous: 479-4328 or 962-1591.
- Epilepsy Support Network: 499-7155/459-8376
- Grandparents as Parents: support group 490-4931.
- Hearing Loss Association of America: 460-0074/496-1308
- Juvenile Diabetes (JDRF): 455-6676. www.jdrf.org Ask you school nurse for information about the VBCPS Diabetic Support Group for students, parents and siblings sponsored by the school nurses.
- Lee’s Friends: Helping people live with cancer. 625-3115.
- Mothers with Bipolar Children and Adolescents: 622-9852.
- Nar-Anon: Support for families of addicts. 622-1126.
- Narcotics Anonymous: 459-8467.
- Nicotine Anonymous: 482-0108
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: 463-4222.
- Overeaters Anonymous: 456-1530 or www.oa.org
- Parent Connection: classes for parents of young children and teens. 622-9622 ext. 19.
- Rainbows: Support groups for children, adolescents and parents struggling with loss due to death, divorce or separation. 622-9852 www.rainbows.org
· Fairy Godmothers of VA: Provides financial support to girls in order to attend their prom. www.mypromdress.org.
· National Alliance for Newborn Angels: Offers layettes for needy premies and newborns: 497-2868.
· The Making a Difference Foundation: Support for Hispanic children needing assistance with SAT/ACT preparation. 615-6109.
Tidewater Youth Enrichment: Provides educational, health and empowerment strategies. 490-8010 or 495-5009
Choices Program: Free after-school 10 session instructional program for students to develop appropriate choice-making skills.